Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Morning Glory

"What's the story morning glory?"
From the song Morning Glory by Oasis- (What's the Story) Morning Glory - Released 10/95
Using it: when you want to ask someone something serious, but are trying to keep it light.

My mother and I used to use this phrase all the time, and then I saw it on a halmark greeting card, and we stopped.

I started running in highschool. I wasn't that good. Ok, I pretty much sucked. I had no endurance, and was slower than a turtle. So I ran the 100 meter hurdles. This was a bad idea, and I think I came in last in every race. There is some gravel in my left knee as proof that sometimes I didn't make it over the hurdle. My "long" runs consisted of 1.5 miles. But I ran all four years. I liked the atmosphere, and the friends I made (and some I still have!). I didn't run in college (Alfred University), although some would swear I did, as I was always so busy, it seemed like I was running all the time. I ran in grad school sometimes, around the neighborhood. Rhode Island was so pretty, it was hard to resist. Nothing serious, but every now and then I would remember how much I enjoyed it, and I would run 30 minutes a day for a week, and then have to work, or write a paper, and forget about it. Sometimes I would have urges to run on my sneakers, tie my hair up, and go for it. Running was an anger outlet, or a stress outlet, or something that I thought would make my life better, solve all the problems of my comps, or the love troubles that speckled grad school.

When I received my masters, and moved to Maine, my world changed. K is a commercial for all that is outdoors and healthy, and I was not. So I bought a mountain bike, and got lots of bruises. I broke out the running sneakers, and attempted to get in shape for ski season (HA!). That was 2 years ago. Now I mountain bike, road ride, run and just finished my second ski season. I ski blues now, and run in the 9:30 - 10 minutes per mile (i think). I have never run over 5 miles, but plan on running the portland half marathon in september/october, and some 5ks before that.
So that's the back story morning glory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home