Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

In line

if you don't get in line we'll lock you away
Typical Situation – Dave Matthews Band – I own “Live at Luther College” – with Tim Reynolds

I’m short – it’s taken me a while to admit it, but I’ve always been short. 5 foot 1 inch. Maybe a bit more after a long night’s sleep, or shoes with lifts, but 5’1 most of the time. People who are taller don’t realize how inconvenient it is to be 5’1. I can’t reach the cereal on the top shelf, some movies at blockbuster are out of the running (maybe that’s why I use netflix). Train rides are a nightmare if there’s no place to sit, as I can’t reach the bar to keep myself from falling into a stranger’s lap. I know there are a lot of adult women shorter than me, and they can talk about their experiences on their blog.
Point is – I’m short. When I’m in line sometimes, I don’t think people see me. Or perhaps they don’t see me as a threat. So they cut me. Seriously – middle aged men, old ladies, people my own age, even teenagers – just sashay into line in front of me. These outrageous incidents have occurred in Borders, airports, gas stations, and convenience stores.

I get mad. I box out, I cough, clear my throat, announce to the world
“I was here first, I’m short and get the fudge out of the way” but silently to myself, because these people are bigger than me.

Maybe this is why I wear such bright colors?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home