The race report from Tri# 1 - Polarbear sprint part 1
i know it was only a sprint tri, but i have a lot to say about it- so since this is my self indulgent online oversharing fest, here is part 1
part 1 the pre, and the swim
i slept terribly the night before - super nervous. I had a dream that there was
5 miles between the pool at T1 and i had to run barefoot, in the bathing suit
K and I got there super early, and i paced, and thought that i should eat for a long time
set up the transition area, got body marked.
a word about body marking: I love it. I love the numbers in permanent marker showing my intentions
for the day. i want to body mark every day.
i want hot guys to write on me with sharpies.
i digress.
then began the athlete meeting, and the waves. I was in wave 6, so i had about 1.5 hours
to pace, pee, pace pee repeat. I cheered on my fellow tri class teamates in other waves
pace pee repeat.
then it started to rain outside.- all over my "dry clothes" and towel.
then wave 5 was in the pool, and i was in standing next to it, introducing myself to my lane buddy "andy" - who in some twist of fate, was also the guy next to me in the transition area- a complete coincidence according to race directors
we got in the pool. I offered up a silent prayer for my googles not to leak, and we were off stroke stroke stroke breathe repeat 10.5 laps, 21 lengths. there was me, there was andy neck and neck. i know i owe him for making me go as fast as i did.
he had faster turns that I did, but i caught up during the lap, and then he would turn faster of course i knew none of this until after the race. I was freaking out. running out of air wondering how long i could keep up this pace that i have never done before. a pace know called "fast" or faster than i ever swam 525 yards - 11 minutes.
K said the crowd thought that Andy and I were together, and were trying to swim the exact same pace.
i saw the sign for my last length. I sprinted. I got to the edge of the pool
i couldn't get out.
i finally belly flopped beached whale style over the side of the pool on attempt 3
i started running towards T1 - it was dark and foggy - i took off my goggles
thoughts going on in my head:
holy crap, i could finish this!
part 2 the bike (including transitions)
coming soon.
part 1 the pre, and the swim
i slept terribly the night before - super nervous. I had a dream that there was
5 miles between the pool at T1 and i had to run barefoot, in the bathing suit
K and I got there super early, and i paced, and thought that i should eat for a long time
set up the transition area, got body marked.
a word about body marking: I love it. I love the numbers in permanent marker showing my intentions
for the day. i want to body mark every day.
i want hot guys to write on me with sharpies.
i digress.
then began the athlete meeting, and the waves. I was in wave 6, so i had about 1.5 hours
to pace, pee, pace pee repeat. I cheered on my fellow tri class teamates in other waves
pace pee repeat.
then it started to rain outside.- all over my "dry clothes" and towel.
then wave 5 was in the pool, and i was in standing next to it, introducing myself to my lane buddy "andy" - who in some twist of fate, was also the guy next to me in the transition area- a complete coincidence according to race directors
we got in the pool. I offered up a silent prayer for my googles not to leak, and we were off stroke stroke stroke breathe repeat 10.5 laps, 21 lengths. there was me, there was andy neck and neck. i know i owe him for making me go as fast as i did.
he had faster turns that I did, but i caught up during the lap, and then he would turn faster of course i knew none of this until after the race. I was freaking out. running out of air wondering how long i could keep up this pace that i have never done before. a pace know called "fast" or faster than i ever swam 525 yards - 11 minutes.
K said the crowd thought that Andy and I were together, and were trying to swim the exact same pace.
i saw the sign for my last length. I sprinted. I got to the edge of the pool
i couldn't get out.
i finally belly flopped beached whale style over the side of the pool on attempt 3
i started running towards T1 - it was dark and foggy - i took off my goggles
thoughts going on in my head:
holy crap, i could finish this!
part 2 the bike (including transitions)
coming soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home