Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

by the numbers

525600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life.

- Seasons of Love - Rent the Musical

why today: since buying my new (to me) car I've been watching the odometer. Impy the Impreza only gets 26 miles per gallon. Estaban, the escort - got 34. Impy has a bigger gas tank, and i've been excited about having the new car, and have been driving it alot. It started me thinking about the numbers in my life 9.5 miles to work, 11 to the gym from work, 13 to K's parent's house. 120 to my mommy, 135 to my dad. 25 to the big city, and about 30 to the mall area. I swim about 1.5 a week, run about 10, bike about 20

525 yards to swim in the tri, 12 miles to bike, 3 to run.

so is that what my year adds up to? 15,000 miles on my car. 500 miles of running. 2 laugh lines. 1 stronger eyeglass prescription. how do I measure a year.

there was 12 months before i turned 30. when we picked the wedding date, it was almost 9 months away.
now its 5 months to both (the wedding is 3 weeks after the birthday). the tri is 8 weeks away (OMG EIGHT WEEKS)
K has 2 weeks left of his antibiotic.

the next lines of the song are:
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love.
Seasons of love.
525,600 minutes! 525,000 journeys to plan.
525,600 minutes - how can you measure the life of a woman or man?
In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.


i work with a lot of details, and i have a big project coming up soon. one that i've know about for almost 7 months and now it's next week.

I worry that i'm getting lost in the details, miles, days, hours. Always looking ahead to the next deadline. to the joyful last minute of the 60 minute spin class. am i missing the bigger picture. what if i miss the winter flowers because i'm looking forward to the spring ones?

how do you measure a year?

1 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a baby. You'll live for every tiny, little moment and time will seem to stand still and speed up simultaneously! It's a weird feeling, but I definitely feel like I've enjoyed every minute since October SO much more than I ever did before she got here!!

    (oh, and once you have a baby, you're more obsessed with numbers having to do with weight, height, and teeth numbers - still none!)

    -b :) (Look! I read your blog!!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home