Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Friday, April 20, 2007

An Awesome Orange Jacket

"I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate
Perhaps thats what no one wants to see
I just want to scream...hello..." Pearl Jam › Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

using it - well, i like two parts of this one.. the first reminds me of my darling live in obstinate K and the other is what I was doing on Sunday before the marathon!

I ended up helping to coordinate the entrance of the pasta party at Gov't Center. They gave me the coolest orange jacket ever, and a plastic bag poncho, a radio and a hearty group of 5 volunteers. Oh, and a hat, from the 2004 marathon. yeah... 2004.

so if you went to the pasta party, and walked through the big apple circus tent, past a girl who looked more like a cold drowned rat in a trashbag, that was me... :)

I had a great time, and kept the traffic going! It looks like I passed the volunteer test, and will be helping with the ING NYC marathon, whenever the heck it is.

I really like helping out with races, and I think it combines 2 things I really like - coordinating stuff and running. I'm going to try to be more involved with it in the future.

DC was a blast, even after the huge storm, and the 3 am flight cancellation, and subsequent 15 hour wait for the next flight.

I got in a really great run on Wednesday, about 4.5 miles (thanks gmaps pedometer) I was only going to run 2, but I got horribly lost in a scary part of the city, and ran faster and further than planned. No foot pain, which was great. The pain from this run was in my right hip thigh -- right about where your car keys hit you when you keep them in your front right pocket. Lots of stretching seems to have solved the problem. It's so exciting to run around DC.

I got a little veclemped in front of the white house, because the flag was at half mast. I stopped for a moment to think about all the violence and loss of life at Virginia Tech, and then spent the rest of the run thinking about all the people that die everyday in senseless violence. It also revivied my anger at US News. Lots of other things happened this week, but i didn't see any of them on TV... only this. I read bbc news, and other international sites, and it makes me feel better.

today's question - what news sites do you check daily?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home