Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The epic story of Stevie


"Baby, you can drive my car" - The Beatles

this entry has nothing to do with running, or houses. but is sadly my life, and quite comically when looked at all together.

In 2000 I bought a green car named Stevie. He had 78,000 miles on him, and he replaced Ernie, a VW golf who had a hard life.

Stevie is a toyota tercel, and is named after an episode of quantum leap. (you know, the halloween one, where Sam leaps into a scary writer's body, and he realizes that the kid who's been visiting him throughout the episode named "stevie" was really Mr. Stephen "the Stand" King.) Stevie and I went to grad school together. They were good times. I paid for him with tips I made as a waitress. He started everyday (unlike Ernie). We took some road trips, had some laughs.
Stevie and I moved to Maine. He was very full, but didn't complain too much. He hit a deer, a turkey and caused a 3 car accident. but managed a full recovery (with a slightly used replacement hood) I got a job commuting 500 miles a week. Stevie was a rock star. Didn't need much gas, leaked only a little bit of oil, and went through spark plugs a little faster than normal.

Life was good.
Until this past weekend. Stevie has 195,000 miles on him, and he's tired. Really, he's at that whispering on your deathbed transmission has no cogs left stage of life.

So Stevie is going to retire. Who will replace him? I know not. I have dreams, but i have bills, and sadly one does not allow for the other.

But Stevie isn't going quietly into that dark night. He showed his rockstar personality once more today. (this begins the rant)

I went into a store this morning for a quick errand and whilst I was shopping, a car pulled in behind me. so there were cars on all 4 sides of Stevie. HE WAS TRAPPED. i called the police, they couldn't tow any of offending cars. then a car next to the car behind me left. there was 5 ft 11 inches between the stupid tourist behind me, and the damn shopper next to me. and STEVIE ESCAPED!

let us pause now for a moment of silence for a good little car who will be missed, and sob loudly for the stress the replacement is going to cause.

So if you love your car, and it does it's thang, hug the steering wheel, give it a little love, and maybe just maybe they will reach 195,000 miles, and be all the car they can be!

anyone know how I can get a mazda3 5 door for free?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:21 AM, Blogger Molly said…

    Chandra, so sorry to hear about having to put your good car down. It's always sad.

    I am not allowed to have a car now. Or ride on a motorcycle. Or ride a bicycle without a helmet. Strange strange rules they put on me.

    Enjoy the search, and if you want to go all the way down to PA for a car, I'm sure that my father can find something for you, not for fre, but competitive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home