Clanging Chimes of Doom
"And the Christmas bells that ring are the clanging chimes of doom" - Live Aid "Do they know it's christmas" Various 80's performers. Today I'm listening to the Bare Naked Ladies Version.
Using it- A nice happy holiday song, I love this line. I love the idea that bells ring with clanging chimes of doom. I listen to this song all year long.
Well, it's official. I wrote the check, i put the stamps on, I registered for the half marathon. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday, and will bike 10 miles tonight, and then do core work. running makes the clanging chimes of doom seem softer.
I feel a bit woozy. I think it's because i've been staring at a computer since 8:00 am today, and the fact that I just actually committed to do something that I don't know if I can do. I feel like I am setting myself up for failure, and paying $25 for it! (i would have had to pay $35 for it next week!) It's probably the chocolate chip brownie and sunkist I just had. Comfort food, you are my friend.
Tomorrow I'm running with a buddy! I've never done this before. The only time I ever run with anyone was the old guy that pass me on the hill a few weeks back. So I will take some advice from Running Chick, and try to avoid the blabbering. This of course assuming I will even be able to speak. I'm plagued with self doubt today. Maybe I'll go read my last post.
The 4.5 yesterday happened in the morning, before work, and felt wonderful. It was strange. I reached the 1.5 mile turnaround for the 3 miles I was planning, and kept going. Then I saw a lightpost up ahead. The sunlight casting through the clouds illuminated it, and I had to run to it. It was a beacon. I reached it, felt fine except for a slight toe pain, and realized I was just a bit away from the 2 mile turn around for the 4 miles (the greenhouse that I struggled to get to just 3 or 4 weeks ago), so I kept going. I reached the greenhouse, and said, well, I'll just run to the end of the street, and turn around then. I could have been Forrest Gump, running from ocean to ocean, or to the end of Greenbough Alabama. I was late for work because of it, but in the general scheme of things, who gives a flying f***?
Today I think I have carpel tunnel disease.
My question- going to a party this weekend, where there will be lots of beer on saturday night. Have a 7 or 8 miler planned for Sunday- should I be responsible, and only have 2 and run, or should I escape back to college age (as I will be with that group of friends, who I haven't seen since graduation more than FIVE YEARS AGO) and drink like I'm getting paid, and think about the long run when I'm ready to be a responsible adult again? What would you do? What would Hal do?
Using it- A nice happy holiday song, I love this line. I love the idea that bells ring with clanging chimes of doom. I listen to this song all year long.
Well, it's official. I wrote the check, i put the stamps on, I registered for the half marathon. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday, and will bike 10 miles tonight, and then do core work. running makes the clanging chimes of doom seem softer.
I feel a bit woozy. I think it's because i've been staring at a computer since 8:00 am today, and the fact that I just actually committed to do something that I don't know if I can do. I feel like I am setting myself up for failure, and paying $25 for it! (i would have had to pay $35 for it next week!) It's probably the chocolate chip brownie and sunkist I just had. Comfort food, you are my friend.
Tomorrow I'm running with a buddy! I've never done this before. The only time I ever run with anyone was the old guy that pass me on the hill a few weeks back. So I will take some advice from Running Chick, and try to avoid the blabbering. This of course assuming I will even be able to speak. I'm plagued with self doubt today. Maybe I'll go read my last post.
The 4.5 yesterday happened in the morning, before work, and felt wonderful. It was strange. I reached the 1.5 mile turnaround for the 3 miles I was planning, and kept going. Then I saw a lightpost up ahead. The sunlight casting through the clouds illuminated it, and I had to run to it. It was a beacon. I reached it, felt fine except for a slight toe pain, and realized I was just a bit away from the 2 mile turn around for the 4 miles (the greenhouse that I struggled to get to just 3 or 4 weeks ago), so I kept going. I reached the greenhouse, and said, well, I'll just run to the end of the street, and turn around then. I could have been Forrest Gump, running from ocean to ocean, or to the end of Greenbough Alabama. I was late for work because of it, but in the general scheme of things, who gives a flying f***?
Today I think I have carpel tunnel disease.
My question- going to a party this weekend, where there will be lots of beer on saturday night. Have a 7 or 8 miler planned for Sunday- should I be responsible, and only have 2 and run, or should I escape back to college age (as I will be with that group of friends, who I haven't seen since graduation more than FIVE YEARS AGO) and drink like I'm getting paid, and think about the long run when I'm ready to be a responsible adult again? What would you do? What would Hal do?

6 Comments:
At 7:41 PM,
Sarah said…
Drink like you mean it :-) Could you do the long run on Monday??
At 7:58 AM,
Running Chick said…
Or. Do the long run on Saturday.
As for running with a buddy - ask lots of questions and refrain from discussing politics or religion. =)
At 10:46 AM,
Anonymous said…
I agree change the day of your long run if you can and then enjoy yourself on Saturday! You have to have a balance when training ... that's what I tell myself when asked "would you like another?"
At 3:36 PM,
Tracy said…
Definitely shoot for Saturday ;) And thanks for your kind words!
At 6:00 PM,
KJ said…
Ditto - Shift the long run day and then enjoy yourself without feeling guilty :) Have a great weekend
At 7:44 PM,
Molly said…
Play it by ear, Chandra, but as I have plans myself for an early morning, I will simply not drink into oblivion (there is only ONE bathroom where we are staying, btw) so if you want to stay somewhat sober, there will be company.
Post a Comment
<< Home