Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Know when to hold them

You Got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run" - Kenny Rogers The Gambler.

Using it- almost every day you have to make a decision that could involve singing this song.

Thoughts From Yesterday's 4 Miler:

Goodness, it's early, it's only 8, and Sunday morning, and why aren't I sleeping. I've been on vacation all week, and I slacked on Hal's schedule, and I feel guilty, and this run is going to happen. I've got the fancy new ipod mini for my birthday. I can't believe i'm going to be 27 next week. I can't believe it fits in the super small pocket in my running shorts... listening to a new version of the gambler by mike doughty. I gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. oh, my calf. that shouldn't hurt. it doesn't hurt. i feel fine. ok, it does hurt, and it wouldnt if I had not slacked. it's so hot, i just have to wipe the sweat off, and run to the greenhouse. it's not that far away, it only takes me 4 minutes to drive to it. why would I run, when i can drive. what am I thinking. 13.1 miles. am i a crack head? where is all the shade, why doesn't this damn street have any trees for shade. oh. now it's bare naked ladies- you can be my yoko ono. it's nice to run with music but i think i forget my breath. was 4 miles this long last week? it wouldn't feel this long if i had run hal's schedule. i'd be cruising. i have to stop. i have to find shade. oh, breathe in, breathe out. 13.1 miles. insane. ok, i'm going again. my mom and k are drinking coffee at home, waiting for me. i'm thirsty. i'm going to have to learn to run with water, or maybe i could stash it. like that mt dew bottle over there. oh, it has stuff in it. YUCK. i'm not that thirsty, i can't believe i thought about that. nasty. run run run. think i'm going to stop over there in that shade to stretch out the left calf. maybe i'll just turn around, and run 3.5 today. what's the big difference. listen to me. people are running 50 miles ultra marathons, and 2 hours a day for training, and I can't run 4. 13.1 egads. and now i've registered for a 10k. i've never run a 10 k. ooh, good song. Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues. there's a beat I can run to. right left breathe in breathe out. there's a hill coming up, it took me 3 minutes last time, maybe i can do it in less. is that another runner behind me? it is. an old guy. i think he's gaining on me. be strong. don't look down. i shot a man in reno just to watch him die, now i'm stuck in folsom prision, and time is dragging by. i made it to the top of the hill! whoo hoo. can't slow down. old guy's going to pass me.
"morning"
"morning"
he passed me. just 1/4 mile left. I can make it. right left breathe in breathe out. there's my house!
I'm done. where's the water? that was no problem. i feel great. 13.1 - bring it on.
I know when to walk away, and I know when to run.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger J'Og said…

    awesome train of thought! i like the lyrical injections!

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger KJ said…

    Love the post! I felt the samae on my run Sunday. I am 2 hours north of you. We moved from Texas last fall so I am still learning where everythin is. I am adding your blog to the list on my blog too.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger :) said…

    What a great post of what goes through our minds while running. I wonder why brain doesn't explode sometimes!

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Funny, funny :-) And Happy (early) Birthday wishes!!

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Molly said…

    That's like getting 4 songs for the price of one. You can never go wrong with the man in black. RIP, Johnny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home