Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Crazy?

"I'm crazy for trying, crazy for crying, crazy for loving you"- Patsy Cline - Crazy

So can anyone in blogland tell how I'm feeling about running today? YAY! I knew the RBF was a smart group. Yup. Me. Crazy and sarcastic, bitter and overworked, tired and just for the joy of it, a new special feeling - horrible pain in my left foot when I run!

What? Pain? In your foot? When you run? But, I thought you have a race (your FIRST race!) in just FOUR BLOODY DAYS?

Yes, it's true. I went out for a nice 45 minute run last night, and got about .25 miles in, and turned around, limped, cursed, tried to run again, limped, cursed, repeated all the way home. I have no idea why it hurts, but to be frank (can I still be chandra?) I wasn't that pleased with the pain.

I took my shoe off at home, to look at the offending foot (thinking that maybe it would be bruised, or perhaps a bone would be sticking out) yet of course there was no evidence. It still looks like a foot. I even checked my shoes for nails, vice grips, rakes, implements of destruction, something to have caused the pain. Nothing. I hobbled a little last night. The good news is that everyone I see everyday is getting used to the hobbling (and the constant bathroom trips), so they don't even ask what's wrong anymore.

In case any of you have had this pain: it feels like a vice grip is really clamping down on the outside edge of my foot (beneath the piggy that never got any roast beef, next to the one who cried "wee wee wee all the way home") It could also be one of those 26/28 bones if the foot popping out!

So, in an effort to not freak out (because I haven't yet??), I will be blaming my sock for the pain, rolling my foot on a golf ball under my desk today, and trying for another 30 minute run tonight.

Now, if you are a sock activist, you did read that right. I am blaming my sock. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the pain, but I can buy another pair of $5.00 running socks, but I CAN NOT buy another pair of $100 sneakers. (even though a buddy who used to work at a running store said I should be wearing the brooks adreneline instead of the glycerin.)

"worry, why do I let myself worry" (also from "Crazy")

where's the rundown this week?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger KJ said…

    Not sure about the rundown but maybe it's a tight ligament or something. Try emailing Danny (Training for my First Marathon-see my sidebar)he's a doc with really helpful advise on others websites re: injuries.
    Let me know about the hills after you drive the course.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Danny said…

    Well, I'm not really that kind of doc. Besides, almost all of what I know is from reading things online...

    That being said, my advice would be to not freak out, at least not yet. One bad run can happen to anyone. Almost all sources I've seen say that you know there's a problem only when you feel pain twice in a row. So give it a shot tonight and see what happens.

    I've added a new link on my blog to this site on sports injuries. It's very extensive, and I find that it has good information. It also includes good exercises that can be done for prevention or treatment. You can find the link to the main site on my sidebar. Here's a link, however, to what they say about metatarsalgia, or forefoot pain.

    One last thing. Because it took so long to write this comment, the Rundown was actually mailed to me in the middle. So here it is.

    Best wishes. Really.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger brent said…

    bummer! hmmm i don't know how to diagnose that one. but if you weren't injured before the new shoes and then your foot started to hurt in the new shoes, i blame the new shoes. i loved my new asics but they hurt my feet so i grudgingly quit wearing them. i still scowl when i see other dudes running in them (lucky bastards!)

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger About Me: said…

    "wondering, what in the world could i do..."
    i'm with danny, one bad run, well, that's ok. if that was your first run with your new shoes though, brent may be right. i bought new asics, did 1/2 mile on treadmill and shooting pain went thru my entire foot and leg. incidentally, i returned them two days later for brooks adrenaline. not saying to buy new $100 shoes but they are awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home