Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

hurts so good

"Hurts so good, sometimes love don't feel like it should" - Hurts so Good- John (couger) Mellencamp.

Quick update-
Thursday - successfully returned glycerins, switched to adrelines

Friday- decided a quick 3-4 miles to break in the new shoes would be a good idea
this is where things started to go wrong (technically, this might have been last sunday's run). about .25 miles into the run, the horrid pain made me stop. it made tears well up in my eyes as well, but i'll never tell. I limped home, very concerned, somewhat miffed, and very pained. I iced, rested and popped advil like they were smarties.

Saturday- rested, took it easy, started to accept the fact that I wouldn't be racing in the 10 K.
ended up going for a walk on the beach. about 2 miles. the horrid pain started about 1/2 mile in. Did not let up. the decision was made. But I still wanted my t-shirt, and to go to the race.

Sunday - woke up so early, without the alarm clock, and went to the race (this never happens!). That drive was not filled with happy thoughts. I was so mad and disappointed that I had trained this hard, but couldn't race. At least I would be able to run the 1/2 marathon on Oct. 2.
The race was awesome, joan benoit samuelson showed up, and did fabulous. She's a local, but it's still exciting. I helped people check in, got my shirt, met some neat people, and went home around 11:00am.

Monday - The doctor's appointment
After some x-rays, poking and prodding, I either have a stress fracture in my little "ring" toe metatarsel on my left foot)(no running for at least 2-3 weeks) or a messed up ligament (no running for at least 2 weeks).

So no 1/2 marathon.

It's terrible, and I'm going crazy without the release of running. that and I have all this free time. very strange. There's a race on Oct. 30.- a 5k. I figure I'll wait and see how I feel, and register on race day if I can run then!

i'm still a bit shocked. I'll definitely be reading and cheering on those with races coming up, and if you don't mind, I'll live vicariously through you all for the next 3 weeks, and try to think of things to keep myself active, and not gaining weight!

10 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger KJ said…

    OMG- I'm bummed for you, I was looking forward to meeting you at the race. Are you gonna still go to watch?
    REST, REST, REST so when you get back to running you'll be fully healed, not part way and susceptible to more injuries.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said…

    That sucks! Hope it heals quickly.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Danny said…

    totally sucks. (but not the end of the world.) for what it's worth, i definitely feel your frustration.

    i know for me running is easier than crosstraining, because it doesn't require a gym. but i really suggest you find another outlet and something to do with that newfound free time. if you just sit around you're gonna get real bummed. if you get busy on an elliptical machine, you'll keep from feeling bad about yourself. on the contrary, you'll feel happy about keeping up your cardiovascular training until you're ready to run again.

    one final thing. don't be thinking about races. races are tough - even if you're not finishing first. your goal should be to get back to running, i.e. training. you should hold off races for a while until you're all perfect. (you're better off training for a longer distance run further in the future, than a shorter distance run too close to your injury.)

    sorry to sound all preachy. i just want you to get better and stay better ASAP.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger brent said…

    i am so bummed for you too. that sucks!! rest up and get well, you'll be back better and stronger than ever. even deena kast0r got injured once and had to recover for a month, then she came back and kicked some butt! you'll kick butt too.

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry you can't do your half... I hope you heal quickly and for good! :-)

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that's terrible, fingers crossed you are feeling better soon. if you are okay with the water, you could try pool running, it is an awesome workout, kepts up your cardio and you feel like you are running ... kinda of. it's done in the deep end so there is no impact on your feet

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Molly said…

    Chandra, this totally sucks. I'm sorry to hear about it. I hear that there are not very many injuries involving knitting, and if you get started now, you can send me a sweet sweater by winter.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger HouseRunner said…

    Molly,
    i do knit, but a wart on my finger always gets caught on the nice yarn!

    Thanks everyone! I'm going to spend this weekend working like crazy, and then, time to devote to a training plan!

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger Noames said…

    ooh--only just saw this now. This sucks lots. Get well fast!

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger brent said…

    thanks for the pom pom cheering section chandra! hehe. i hope is survive!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home