Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

if I could

"If I could, you know I would, stand on the rock where Moses stood" - Oh Mary Don't you Weep - done quite a few times, most recently - Bruce springsteen Seeger Session.

Using it- well, I've been singing it all morning, but it could really be used to sum up my feelings about this year, and committing to TNT.

I went to the TNT meeting last night - informational, and I got all caught up. Sure I was planning on just running the half, but with the excitement, I could taste the full marathon. Some super fit chic would be the trainer, and I would whip my body into a well oiled machine.

but then, on the ride home, I realized I have this job that takes a lot of time. and I'm moving into a school bus for the summer, without an outhouse, and outdoor shower. I realized that all my extra time this summer needs to be spent on the house, not on fundraising.

so while I really want to run the marathon, and so help me, I will. I have to be adult enough to realized that I just can not commit the time to training with TNT and raising the money.

I'm going to train on my own for the half, register myself, and work on the plan. And keep my dreams in check with my reality.

It's a crushing blow, to realize that I just don't have the time, but also sort of freeing to realize that I can prioritize things.

So for the half marathon I'm still working on my base mileage. run 10-15 miles a week, then 15-20, then start doing 8 -10 milers on Sunday mornings. I can do it, and last nights meeting showed me that I really want to do it. but this year, I'm doing it for me. Next year, I'll do it for charity.

that makes me feel a little guilty. If I could, you know I would, run the marathon for TNT.

oh, Go out and get Bruce Springsteen - We Shall overcome - The Seeger Sessions. It's my new favorite. seriously.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Team in Training is a WONDERFUL program, but don't feel guilty that you can't make a committment to the program right now. You are right. You have too much going on right now to make fundraising a priority, but don't close the door on TNT forever.

    Set a goal to complete the half-marathon you are training for and then once your "transitional" living situation is over, look for TNT sponsored races that would also give you an opportunity for a little vacation.

    Then you can look forward to going someone fun like Orlando or Phoenix next winter. Plus it will keep you motivated to keep running. And sadly enough, there will still be a need for cancer research fundraising in 6 months or a year.

    So enjoy your summer of running and renovations. TNT will always have an opportunity for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home