Running from my House

Face Forward. Move Slow. Forge Ahead.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Adjusting the Focus

today's blog entry is more like a refocusing of goals, and I apologize to the varied friends who read this, and think that I am obsessed, because I'm not *twitch*.
It's just that running makes me think about the health of the rest of my body, and my (stated in the header) mission is to become a better runner. So here's a list of things I need to focus on to become a better runner:

1. RUN - build up a base to be ready for the marathon training. My base goal - 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week. OR - running/ellipitcal/arc trainer/biking (a combo of 2) for 1 hour 3-4 times a week.

2. STRENGTH - this is broken into a few parts - Core, Flexibility and sexy arm muscles - I will work on this by adding 1 -2 yoga sessions per week, and 20 minutes of situps/pushups/weights after the running.

3. NUTRITION- this includes: proper hydration, less fried things, and reaching the veggie magic numbers. I will work on this by keeping a food log, not letting K foodshop, and avoiding the ever present desire to eat chicken fingers EVERYDAY. I have also put my jar of vitamins on my desk. I will now look at these every day, and henceforth take them. The only liquids I drink are water, tea and V8. ok, the occaisional beer, or shot of vodka. and perhaps some lactard milk (did you know I'm lactose intollerant?) So the water bottle will remain by my side, refilled at will.

4. BRAIN - this includes the part that tells me to go home before the gym, or to hit the snooze bar. To work on this: this list, RBF blogs, runner's world, self magazine, self challenge website, food log, my blog postings, my heart rate moniter, putting runs on my calendar.

"Insanity laughs under pressure we’re cracking
Can’t we give ourselves one more chance?
Why can’t we give love one more chance? " - David Bowie - Under Pressure

why today: because i'm trying to put some pressure on myself.

Body Fat Percentage Categories from here
Classification Women (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32%+ 25%+

my percentage: 23% which puts me into the fitness level (woohooo) goal: 21 or 20% on August 1)

2 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger J'Og said…

    awesome, c. so often that nutrition item is left out of the equation and it, along with rest, are two of the most important variables. get those iron rich foods, those good fatty fishies (like salmon and tuna) and good fiber carbs! woohoo!

    and again with the bowie. you rock.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said…

    Strength. I so need to get back to strength training.

    I did that calculation and it said I was 20% fat. I was pretty that all of me was fat so I'm glad I'm ahead of the game. I wonder why they don't need to factor in your height.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home